Cryotherapy for Pain Management and Wellness
A Non-Pharmaceutical Solution
Cryotherapy effectively treats pain and improves overall wellness through several mechanisms
Cryotherapy effectively reduces local and systemic inflammation, a major source of pain and chronic health problems.
Cryotherapy triggers the release of analgesic (pain-relieving) endorphins such as norepinephrine.
According to a recent research, cryotherapy increases the release of endorphins and enkephalins, natural painkillers. It also creates a sensation of well-being, reduces stress and creates a feeling of euphoria.
Research has shown that cryotherapy:
- Significantly reduces pain in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Can help heal soft tissue injuries, heal chronic wounds, leg ulcers, and reduce the side effects of chemotherapy.
- Increases resistance to and recovery from sports injuries.
- Diminishes inflammation seen in numerous inflammatory processes.
- Promotes immune function by stimulating circulation and reducing stress.
During a 3-minute whole body cryotherapy session, clients will notice the extreme cold of the chamber. This sensory input will signal the brain to go into the “fight or flight” mode. However, no real danger is being presented as only the skin is undergoing this extreme cold experience.
Repeated, consistent cryotherapy sessions boosts the metabolism in the long run, resulting in more passive calories burned and maintained weight loss or maintenance.
The metabolic rate of the body is amplified by the release of endorphins and epinephrine to increase metabolism and energy. This state of increased metabolism can last anywhere from 3-5 days and may become permanent with repeated cryotherapy sessions.
To preserve the body’s inner temperature, blood can rush toward the core and burn up to 500 to 800 calories. Calories continue to burn after the treatment as the body re-heats itself.
- Endorphin release elevates mood, reduces anxiety, relieves insomnia and can lead to healthy choices
- Fat deposits are reduced by de-activating cold sensitive fat cells
- Blood flow is stimulated, thereby stimulating fat cell detoxification and lymphatic drainage